Sunday, January 14, 2018

What Happened In France~ Part 1

 The metallic clattering of the train car coincided with the jostling speed of the subway on it's way to the International Terminal at the ATL Hartsfield-Jackson airport. The light suddenly flickered and I was in momentary darkness, closed-in by strangers in the crowded place, with my only friend in the world next to me as we sat on the brink of this incredible journey. The last few days had seen a hectic pace of travel that was only the precursor of what I was about to embark upon. Our anxiety and excitement was palpable in the relative silence around us, and as the flashing light revealed glimpses of my bleak surroundings, I reflected on how I had come this far.

 Only two days prior, I was sitting in a lecture hall at my Alma Mater hundreds of miles away, desperately trying to keep my intellectual juices flowing just long enough to stay focused on my back-to-back environmental biology finals, before closing my rented duplex for the next 5 weeks and driving my luggage-packed car 5-6 hours upstate to my friend Sharron's family home. They were kind and very hospitable to me upon arrival, which was merciful considering that my level of exhaustion had turned me into less than my typically sociable self. After a rather late evening meal and a few blissful hours of sleep on their luxurious guest room bed, I joined the ladies of the house the next morning on an all-day shopping spree at a large Atlanta mall for last minute luggage essentials, clothing items, and a pampering pedicure. An evening at the house visiting with Sharron's siblings and helping her pack (with her mother) finished our last day in the USA. Her father's early morning drive to see us well on our way had gotten us to where we were at this moment: about to board our first non-stop flight out of the country...

 "Hey!" Sharron's voice abruptly snapped me out of my momentary reverie. "Isn't that the guy who we saw earlier?" Her gesturing hand indicated the location of a long-haired, unshaven young man sitting across from us several feet away. He was slumped over in a worn T-shirt that at one time may have been red, his loosely fitted khaki cargo pants and a single backpack hanging carelessly by his side completed the disheveled look. "I think it is.." I hesitatingly replied. He looked up as he gathered his unkept hair into a ponytail, and I saw a kind face smile shyly to the both of us during another flash of light through the gritty window to our right. "This is our stop." Sharron remarked and began to stand up as the train slowed next to a well-lit station. The florescent lighting hurt my squinting eyes as we exited the subway.

 We planned our next move on our way up the escalator, "Let's find our boarding terminal first, and then see what we can find close by to grab for lunch, okay?" "Sounds good to me", she said. Several minutes of following overhead signs, and double then triple checking our boarding passes and tickets went by before we only had a few more hallway turns left to go. I looked over my shoulder and saw the mysterious figure appear some distance behind us. "Look! There he is again!" I quietly exclaimed to Sharron. We began keeping our focus behind, as well as in front of our route, and suddenly he was halfway up the escalator in front of us. "How the heck did that happen?!" Sharron muttered as a sudden uneasiness swept over our already anxious minds. Was this man following us? Impossible...surely he's just on his way somewhere like everybody else and this is just a coincidence...right? I tried to reason with myself. Living practically alone in a college city had made me over-conscience of my surroundings, even if it was to the point of being irrational. I stuffed these thoughts back in my head and focused on matching the right number and letter combination to an imminently visible overhead sign in the copious waiting area, sectioned off by that annoying seat-belt like rope used at events and (of course) airports, in which we now were. "There's hardly anyone here yet, and we still have around 45 minutes before they even start to board." I remarked to Sharron. "Yeah, but I still want to be right in front so I can be the first to board with the express pass that Dad bought me yesterday. You're coming with me as my 'traveling companion', so I need you to stick with me, okay?" she declared. "Fine! But I'm buying some water and something to eat. It's a 10 hour flight minimum, and I'm already hungry and thirsty. Want to come?", I replied. "Make it quick!", she ordered and briskly began walking in the direction of the non-distinct food odors.

 Several minutes later, we returned to the spot of our last discussion with take-away deli wraps, a few snacks, and an extra large bottle of water. I promptly sat down and began munching on my lunch while she called her parents to let them know what was going on. I jumped when I suddenly heard my name called over the intercom above us, "Please go to your terminal at once with your passport", it instructed in a booming voice. My stomach sank like a pebble in a still pond. What happened? I couldn't possibly be in any trouble... After all, I'd already gone through TSA security and everything. I went to the awaiting uniformed employee behind the podium at the boarding gate; with no small amount of trepidation in my voice, I identified myself and subsequently handed my passport into his open hand. After what felt like a long time, he simply handed it back with a tight smile, after typing something into his computer while inspecting my documentation. Whew! Why do I feel like I just dodged a bullet?, I wondered as I returned to my seat and quickly finished my meal before calling my mom for one last goodbye before my leap into the great unknown through that gate.

 Only a few moments before they called for the first boarders, another name was called to have their passport checked, and who should show up to our gate and answer the call but the mysterious stranger from the subway! "Go say hi", urged Sharron. "I can't do that!", I gasped "What would I say to the guy? 'Hey! We've been noticing you following us all this time and thought we should at least say hello?!' " "Whatever! He noticed us looking at him and is coming this way now", she said as her eyes faced the general direction behind me. Before I could say another word, the all too comfortably dressed traveler sat by us and proceeded to introduce himself. "Hi! I'm Mark. I saw y'all a lot earlier and it looks like we're on the same flight outta here," his thick southeastern drawl continued, "sorta looks like we're goin' to the same place now don't it?" Before I could stop her, Sharron (not used to having to be cautious around strangers) blurted out, "We're on our way to France for a study abroad trip in Tours!", and commenced the introductions. "That's cool," the now identified man commented, "I'm doin' the same thang myself." You have got to be kidding me! This kind of person is going abroad for intellectual purposes? I sat in disbelief while our flight was called to board. At least we won't be sitting together. 

  "Boarding pass, Miss!", demanded an overly stressed flight attendant. I showed her my seat number; a full class behind Sharron's, even though I had boarded as her companion. The woman sniffed and then sputtered through ill-concealed disdain, "That will be way back there to the partition and then to the left." I meekly followed her instructions. It wasn't my fault that the airline had forgotten my seat assignment and had to assign me a new one only a day or so ago. I approached where my next 10-12 hours would be spent. Oh my gosh...This is really bad! I thought as I regarded my situation with dismay, not only was I in the "sandwich seating", I was directly in front of the jet-powered toilet stations. On an overnight flight to a foreign destination, I was already having a nightmare.



No comments:

Post a Comment